Monday, September 22, 2008

Turning 28 in Chucktown...

Thank you all for the sweet birthday wishes, cards, and flowers! I felt very loved and am thankful for such a thoughtful, sweet family.

Friday, as the afternoon lull hit at work, I received an email from the front desk: "You have flowers at the front desk :)" I was tickled. I arrived and the receptionist says, "Are you Shannon? These look like your flowers." She was right - I received a beautiful pink bouquet of roses and dasies from my dear aunt, uncle, and grandparents.

I brought them up to my desk to display just as I received another email: "You have MORE flowers at the front desk :)" I retraced my steps, went down front, and picked up a gorgeous bouquet of a dozen red roses from Matthew. Here is a picture of my desk on Friday afternoon! I've never felt so loved at work!
Amy arrived Friday night and we were determined to find a place which would still serve us dessert so late at night, without having to trek downtown. I drove her through Park Circle, where some of the best little restaurants are (but were all closed), and showed her the women's shelter where I volunteer. We ended up back on Daniel Island at our new patio grill on the main drag - where everyone else was! We enjoyed key lime pie and creme brulee.

The next day we took our time getting up and around, had a late lunch at Poe's near the beach. However, it was looking grim so we decided to just take a driving tour of the beach instead. Since our favorite movie is The Notebook, I took Amy to Boone Hall Plantation, where it was filmed. It just so happened to be the weekend of Scottish Games festivities - long story short, lots of men in kilts and plenty of bagpipes! Amy has a Scottish background and schooled me on the various sights and sounds as we toured the plantation.

That evening we met friends downtown at Chai's for a dinner of tapas. Brace yourself, mom, I had the duck confit lettuce wraps. Yes, they were good! Everyone enjoyed the several courses, sampling many different tapas, even sharing with one another. It was neat to look down the table and see the friendships that have blossomed in such a short period of time. Here are some pics of me with Donna and Amy at dinner:
Amy and I went home and watched movies in our pj's until we fell asleep. We woke up the next morning, watched The Notebook of course, and went downtown for brunch and shopping. We had pumpkin ginger bread, cinnamon french toast, and a tomato pudding omelette at Hominy Grill! We shoe-shopped at Nine West where Amy bought me the most comfortable pumps I have ever put on my feet! We walked down to the Harbor, through the Market Street vendors, and had an afternoon snack before heading to the airport.

All in all, a nice laid back weekend of celebrating with a dear friend. We will get to catch up again in Boston when we attend the same conference in October! Thanks to everyone who made my first birthday away from home such a memorable one - I felt much love from you all from afar and was so thankful to receive a visit from someone familiar with whom to celebrate.
Love to you all,
Shannon

1 comment:

The Smith Family said...

Shannon, we are so glad you had friends with which to spend your birthday. It looked as though you had fun! Thank you for taking a picture of the flowers you received. We were happy to have a small part in your special day. You are SO missed and loved very much. Our prayers and thoughts are with you. God bless and keep you.

Love,
The Smiths